The status of Buildcraftia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JeremyC, Aug 16, 2015.

1. JeremyC

JeremyC Well-Known Member Retired Staff

The current status of Buildcraftia
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: These opinions do not represent the vast community. This is a personal letter on how I feel things are going right now.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone. It's Jeremy. So it's been about 4 months now since the staff left, blah blah blah, that shit. You know what i'm talking about. So there have been so many changes and developments that i'd like to go over, and stuff liek that. Let's jump in!

Current amount of staff:
    Currently there are 3 admins, 4 owners, and 5 mods. That's a really bad amount. We have nearly twice the amount of admins & owners than we do mods. It causes problems. So basicly, we need more mods.

How active are the owners?
    Currently we have 4 owners, but only one of them is active. Azza, matty and mac are inactive owners. Both Matty and Azza have legitimate excuses. Matty has been gone the whole summer going around the planet. I've personally seen his schedule and he simply does not have the time to get on. And he notified the staff team of this before he went on all these vacations. (Right before I left he sent a message saying he wouldn't be on much during the summer). Azza is in the fucking army. No way he can get on. Simple as that. Now Mac on the other hand, has no excuse to be completely honest. He doesn't have any important event that we know of. And he has not notified staff that he would be gone to my knowledge. According to multiple staff members (who's names I will keep private), Mac recently went on a 2 week vacation without notifying a single staff member, then came back and said something like "Sorry, I was on vacation for 2 weeks". If a mod went inactive for 2 weeks without notifying anyone and said that, the owners would be furious. So why is it ok that Mac gets to do that? So Mac currently is inactive as an owner and has no reason to be. Quickie is the only active owner. He's really the only reason the server is still existing right now. He's worked his ass off to get everything done. So hats off to him. So to sum up, Matty, Azza, and Mac have all been largely inactive. Matty and Azza have legitimate reasons why they can't get on but Mac does not.

The API:
    Now this new API that we have been promised has not come out. That is not the problem. What is the problem is that we have people who aren't doing jack shit setting deadlines for quickie. Quick has a family, he has work, he has a life. We can't just expect him to get this stuff done on the dates people set. He's doing all this work for us. If anyone is saying when the API is going to be done, it's him. He should be the one saying when it should be done. The problem is that Mac has kept saying "Api is coming out in a week" for a while now. But it hasn't. Thats not quick's fault. Thats Mac's fault. It would honestly be better if you overestimate the date of when the api is going to be done rather than underestimate the date. Honesty is an important thing. And to continue to lie about when the API is coming out is absurd. Now once again, this is not Leo's fault. He is the one doing all this work to get this done for us. He is the one working his ass off. It's other people who are lying about when the api is coming out.

The efficiency of staff:
    Currently the staff are not efficient. This is because staff have to vote on every ban report, ban appeal and warp request. Now why is this a problem? Because currently 3 of the mods are simply not on. As much as I love you ken, phoenix and temp, you guy's simply are not on. I don't know the reason, so I can't say. I love you guys, but I just don't see you on enough. And then the 2 active mods, Dusty and Chip, are currently going to become less active. Chip has school and Dusty is away camping. And since 3 of the owners aren't active, you truly have 1/2 of the staff who are not active. 1/2! Thats really bad. So when there is a ban report, appeal or warp request, it takes a month to even get voted on. Alot can happen in that time. The old staff system was people handled everything on their own. The staff member who first got on would deal with it. This went for ban reports/appeals and warp requests. Much quicker and simpler. And if the staff had a bias, they'd let someone else handle it. Simple as that. This also showed that the staff had a great deal of trust. Now, staff have to vote on everything, and it provides more negative than positive. It takes a month to make a decision and it gives staff a lot less trust. In my resignation letter 4 months ago, I said for the community to be able to vote more, and for staff to be able to vote more. I never said that both the community & the staff had to vote on every damn thing. Just the big stuff. This really all ties back to half of the staff being inactive, which then leads to the fact that we need more staff.

We need more servers:
    Now I guess this will have to wait until the API comes out, since leo is tied up in doing so much work, but once we get the chance, we need more servers. Whether it be more minigames, a new survival server, or just something random, we need a new server. Something that will keep people on. Because right now the only thing that people play on is creative, and that gets boring as fuck after a while.

The solution to each problem:
    -We need more staff: Just make another modnom
    -Efficiency of staff: Just let staff have a little independence and be able to handle ban reports/appeals & warp requests by themselves.
    -Inactivity of staff. Once again, do more modnoms. But also maybe put an inactive staff tag or something on the non active staff. Or, remove them from any decision making, and remove their staff tag while they are inactive. Once they come back, repromote them and give them everything back.
    -New api: Let leo give us a true and honest opinion on when the api is going to be out. I think all of us would appreciate an honest estimate rather than an inaccurate one. Once again, none of this is leo's fault. He just has had people giving out random dates on when the api is going to be out.
    -We need more servers: Look at the minigame/server suggestions on the forums. Find really good ones that people really like. Then code & impliment them once there is time to do so.

That is the letter. Thank you for reading. Feedback would really help.
    -Jeremy

2. NapkinDabber

NapkinDabber Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Agreement with most points argued.

DoctaCirno, yvagary and JeremyC lick this.
  3. LordN826

LordN826 Well-Known Member

I agree and disagree with some of this. I would make my own points but I'm just feeling way to lazy atm

yvagary licks this.
  4. knewnie

knewnie Well-Known Member Retired Staff

i agree with basically all of this well done !!!!

I would also like to bring up the fact that (not naming any names) a couple days ago, one of the admins spammed falconpunch, and then i spammed dont spam. However, i was muted for 10 minutes because of it. this would be no big deal, if it were for the fact that that admin was not punished at all. shouldnt the admins be held accountable for the same rules as the community?

[14:48:17] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] [FalconPunch] ADMIN punched Kaiziieee!
    [14:48:17] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Knewnie » aka i only eat out
    [14:48:18] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Kashers » What can i get you!
    [14:48:18] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Yvehe » ;3
    [14:48:19] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Kaiziieee » oh god
    [14:48:20] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Yvehe » ADMIN
    [14:48:22] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Jessiieee » Abuse
    [14:48:22] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Yvehe » you cant do that
    [14:48:23] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Oskiieee » wat
    [14:48:25] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Knewnie » dont spam
    [14:48:25] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Oskiieee » hot doggy
    [14:48:27] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Yvehe » spam
    [14:48:27] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Kaiziieee » abuse
    [14:48:28] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Knewnie » dont spam
    [14:48:29] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Knewnie » dont spam
    [14:48:29] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Knewnie » dont spam
    [14:48:30] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Yvehe » mute for an hour
    [14:48:30] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Knewnie » dont spam
    [14:48:30] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Knewnie » dont spam
    [14:48:35] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Jeremy » gg kn0wn
    [14:48:38] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Kaiziieee » known ;-;
    [14:48:43] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Knewnie » ur gonna mute me but not mute ADMIN for doing the same thing i bet
    [14:48:43] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Oskiieee » u guys are hurting my brain
    [14:48:47] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Kaiziieee » ^
    [14:48:48] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Oskiieee » stehp typing so much
    [14:48:48] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] DerekAClark » wtf
    [14:48:52] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Kaiziieee » never
    [14:48:54] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] Yvehe » yeah exactly
    [14:48:55] [Client thread/INFO]: [CHAT] You have been temporarily muted for Spam by ADMIN which expires in 10 minutes

CMNProductions, Lee, Mipsu and 4 others lick this.
  5. yvagary

yvagary Well-Known Member Penguin Retired Staff

I agree with pretty much everything he had said. When the "Great Leaving" or the "Fall of BC" happened as some people like to call it, BC was in bad shape. Azza and Leo left for a (very) brief amount of time, and when the mods left we had no telling whether they would come back or not. Everyone was in a panic, but then they came back. Leo is the backbone of most things server wise, and Mac doesn't take the time to ask him what he's doing and if he needs help. Trust me, I know. I've asked him. He said he doesn't talk to him on a regular basis because he has a life of his own. Yes, but you can leave a message on his Skype for a status update.
    Mac has a biased attitude to current and retired mods. If I get banned or yelled at for this I don't really care because it's true. I made a joke about him being on the first time in months. Maybe weeks since I was a tad inactive but trust me it was a long time. He said that most retired mods are salty, and then Razer made a comment and he replied "No, not you Razer. I could never be mad at you. I was talking to Yva."
    I don't lie and I still have the logs if you would like them.
    When I got cycled out of Senior Mod, one of the last things we talked about was how we never got to vote on the new Helpers. Only the Admins/Owners got to. An admin (no names) put me in my place and told me I had no authority to vote for the next member of our staff team. Obviously that has changed, and I hold nothing against that admin-now-owner. We never expected you to vote on every little thing that comes to you guys. Obviously you'd probably have to vote on, like, PB/DTC/SR/PK maps, but that's not what Jeremy's talking about.
    I don't know about the different servers but it doesn't sound like a bad idea so good idea. I wouldn't mind PB back before the API though :)
    One thing that most of you know that I hold a grudge on is bad judgment in punishments. I'm not saying any names even though most of you know who I mean, and I've been told I should forgive which is quite hard for me. Anyway so numerous times I have seen admins (mainly) use bad judgement in muting (or as far as I've seen). I spammed, yes, I admit to it. But I stopped. A minute or so later was when I got muted. For an hour. After I had already stopped. I see Kn0wn's post now which was my next point on this. An admin can spam, but a player can't. The admin doesn't get a warning or anything. But the player gets a mute. Why? They're both breaking the rules, are they not?
    Lastly I'd like to say that ModNoms would be nice, but at this point how many of us are actually cut out for mod? I'm not saying no one is, I'm saying the nominations are mainly out of wanting to be a mod more than wanting a respectable staff member. For the most part, I wouldn't mind a friend of mine getting mod because you know how they act around people. They'll be nice. But if your friend is also cut out to be a respectable staff member then that's a better reason to nominate them. Sometimes people aren't who you think they are, so make sure you pick someone who will always be friendly. No matter what. Who isn't biased. Who isn't a dick towards other players. I'm only a dick occasionally by the way.
    I hope this makes a change in how the server is run, because damn. These are some important points.

Wordguy, Lee, Mipsu and 6 others lick this.
  6. Bins

Bins Well-Known Member

Jeremy this was quite interesting to read. I agree 100% on everything single point you made. When the "RedHeadGamer67" Ban Report took almost a month I was outraged so you're right in saying we need more staff. Good job Jeremy-boy!

Mipsu, yvagary and JeremyC lick this.
  7. Miner

Miner Bye y'all Penguin Retired Staff

Just sayin, Mac's excuse is that he's not as addicted to mc as we are, which isn't a bad thing. He's said it to me a lot actually, he's an owner but he shouldn't have to constantly be on to still have respect.

I do agree more mods would help with efficiency of staff and take a lot of the load off the upper staff.

This part is address to the community at whole, ya'll should chill about admins. For example with Razer, yeah he changed but a lot of you guys literally attacked him for anything he did, and so he was only an admin for a few weeks. Like, even if you don't like them, it's not really an excuse to fight every chance there is.

Overall: More mods to help increase staff efficiency, chill about staff and trying to find hypocrisy everywhere. Not everyone is on their computer 24/7

8. FatherFan

FatherFan Priest Staff Member Moderator Penguin

I'd like to note that:
    We have changed that policy, that all things, such as warp requests, ban appeals/reports, and other things of the sort (not maps for DTC/PB, as that will occur following API release) that admins can discuss, accept/deny.
    Likewise, as an admin I'm trying to crack down on warp requests, ban appeals/reports, and things of that nature.

MacMeBenny, Jessie and JeremyC lick this.
  9. JeremyC

thats fair. I know people can't be on 24/7 and I completly understand that. But mac is one once a week, if that. Thats a problem, since he's the owner

knewnie and yvagary lick this.
  10. Olocool17

Olocool17 Well-Known Member

I agree.
    Mac, we know you can't come on alot, but stop viewing the server as your side project :p
    And tbh Ken should be demoted. Temp is on quite frequently and I don't really know about Phoenix.

11. knewnie

knewnie Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Ken was on recently, but thats the first time ive seen him in months. Temp is on more than Phoe, but i see them like a couple times a week, but they are not on as often as dusty and chip for sure. When i was mod, i was on practically daily

12. Miner

This isn't exactly a side project to Mac though. Everytime he comes on, which is more than once a week btw, he's working on API stuff and trying to get the community's opinion on colors and aesthetics. Ken shouldn't be demoted as he's on quite often, and he's not the bot, it's actually Ken.
    The point of the staff is so Mac doesn't always have to be on. He has a life and other things to do. He shouldn't have to be on constantly.

MacMeBenny licks this.
  13. JeremyC

he is helping out and asking around but he kinda does treat it like a side project. Lets put it this way. The once a week that he's on, he works. Then hes off for a week. You can't do that as an owner. If your the owner of a minecraft server this size, you need to invest more time. Let me show you this:
    http://m.imgur.com/o0t4D5F
    Granted it's not a week, but it's still quite concerning

HazlerTheDazzler licks this.
  14. Jessie

Jessie Ex-Ownerbear Retired Staff

Phoenix has been in the Netherlands and has had a lot of holidays this summer and Temp also went on Holiday so that explains their absence for a little bit at the beginning of the summer and they'd be more then happy to explain why they were off when they have the time if people still want to know.

Although you did make some good points, like some staff not being on much and all, where as that is a good point staff do try to come on as much as they can sometimes either MC just doesn't sound like the best option or we're just busy. It's true Ken might need to come on a little more but whenever he is on he is very swift with his answers and always polite to people asking questions.

HazlerTheDazzler and Miner lick this.
  15. Miner

I stand by the simple argument that he's not as addicted to minecraft and so doesn't play it as often. He still works on the server a lot and maintains it, he just doesn't play as often. He doesn't sit in his room on a laptop all day like some people on the server

16. JeremyC

fair enough. I can for sure agree with that. I just criticize it because he's the owner. Thats all. But you are right :p

Miner licks this.
  17. NapkinDabber

NapkinDabber Well-Known Member Retired Staff

I think it's crazy how some people can even do that

18. OptimusZambie

OptimusZambie Active Member

I feel bad for our good pal the penguin, everyone is throwing everything at him, He is in his 30's has a family and family comes first. I think we need to find more developers, but we saw what happened with BC's great depression *cough* arcadia *cough cough*

Mipsu and yvagary lick this.
  19. FatherFan

FatherFan Priest Staff Member Moderator Penguin

I basically have to do that, since there's little staff to patrol the servers.

20. RazerH

RazerH Moderator Retired Staff

Finally, someone who is non-staff has actually realized about me constantly being attacked when I was admin. Thank you Miner

Staff members, as you should know, according to AZZA's staff member guidelines in the staff forums, each staff member has a minimum requirement of being on at least 30 minutes of the day with the exception of notifying the other staff that they have something more important in their lives to do such as completing a homework assignment or going on vacation and spending time with their families. Don't even try to bother argueing with me, I still have this all of the guidelines copied down onto a google doc as well as a forum conversation I shared with Dusty and Phoenix when they had no access to the staff forums. I really don't see how half the staff can be missing.