Suggestion Reset of survival

Discussion in 'Survival Bugs & Suggestions' started by JeremyC, Aug 3, 2017.

?

Should survival reset

1. Yes

41.7%
  2. No

58.3%
  1. JeremyC

JeremyC Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Evening fine lads and lassies,

Now knowing as I have only returned from the dead, and just started playing Minecraft again, I know my suggestion probably wont carry as much weight as it once did. But seeing as I fully intend to play again, I think I might as well make this post haha. In any case, side tracked side tracked... I think we should do a reset of survival.

There are obviously plently of pros and cons to having a reset, but after looking over them, I think the benefits by far out weigh the downsides. Let me lay them out

Pros

The main genesis for resetting the survival server is the current longetivity of the world. It was reset more then two years ago. The world before that was only around for about a year, and by the time that was reset, it was already completely dried up of resources, and good real estate. This one has been around for twice as long. The resources within a 5000 block of spawn have all but dissapeared completely, and you have to go a lot further out to find blocks, biomes, and other features that have come out with new updates. In the timespan of this survival world there have been four major updates, 1.9-1.12. There are so many new features in these updates that are simply not accessible in this current survival world unless you were to go out very very far. Blocks such as the bones, concrete, and terracotta, features such as the woodland mansion and newer villagers, mobs such as the parrot, you have to travel a great deal to get to them.

Another good cause to reset survival is popularity, honestly. Having survival reset would level the playing field, and would cause a good spike in survival players for a while. Possibly even the server, although I can understand that this is very likely refutable. With everyone having a fresh start, new alliances and bases will be built, the old top dogs on the market will give way to newer, fresher faces. Resources would be very abundant, along with all the newer features being much more accessible. Especially in the nether and the end, which have a lot less resources and room, but have already been tapped dry for the most part. The world would also be a lot cleaner. All around the center of the current world there are countless remains of old, abandon bases, griefed and exploded craters. It would be nice to get rid of all of this.

Cons

The biggest one right off the bat would probably be everyone's hard earned crap would be lost. That would not be a fun pill to swallow for many, thats completely understandable. Even though the world is getting old, thats still two years+ worth of work for some people, that would vanish. That couldnt be redone in a fortnight on the new reset survival. It would take time for some to readjust.

Theres also so much space in this world still, as it is infinite. You could counter my point of resources not being abundent near spawn by saying that you just have to travel a bit. Thats completely understandable, and correct. Everything you need is still accessable, you just have to travel a bit.

One could also say that a fresh start could also happen for anyone if they want, they just dump all their stuff, go far away, and rebuild. Also completely fair.

However none of these solutions truly affect the entire server. Its kind of tough to do a reset with a one foot in one foot out mentality. It should really be all payers on the server, all locations being reset, not just one player having a fresh start by going far away.

Overall I hope that the points speak for themselves, and that I hope I presented a fair argument and points for both sides of the spectrum. My conclusion that we should reset is opinion, not a fact, and many of the arguments for both sides are either opinions or subjective facts, facts that could be looked at in multiple ways to help one party or the other. But I guess my hope is that I at least at the bare minimum create a healthy discussion about this topic. Let me know what you think.

Thanks everyone for reading,

Cow

Lee and DoctaCirno lick this.
  2. HoundofNimbus

HoundofNimbus Well-Known Member

Does my vote count since I don't play anymore.

3. DoctaCirno

DoctaCirno Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Resetting survival? Oh yes please

4. ItsAZZA

ItsAZZA BuildCraftia Owner Staff Member Administrator Owner

The last time we discussed this subject, the opinions were quite different. Most of the players were opposing the idea, as far as I remember.

The pros of resetting survival were quite insignificant to the cons. Sure enough, we could boost the player count for survival, but how long would that last. Virtually that boost we could achieve with a reset would be way too insignificant to the cons of the reset. Last time we had a reset was, yes, around two years ago in 2015. For around two weeks there was a significant amount of players on survival.

If we were to reset survival, in my opinion we could fix most of its current problems. Maybe even implement some great additions to the game-play. Of course this would take some time to set up, but I am sure we’re not in a hurry, are we.

At the moment, as you described Jeremy, the resources are quite scarce and mostly collected or harnessed. This can especially be seen in the nether and the end dimensions. The end cities have been looted up to 10-20,000 blocks outwards from the center. The world generating has changed multiple times as well - for example we have the Woodland Mansions nowadays as well as many other changes.

The economy was always poorly planned and executed. By resetting the survival world AND economy, we could fix most of the problems with the current economy. Yes, most players have a lot of money on Survival, but that is not the main problem. New players do not have many ways to earn money. I always wanted to encourage player-to-player sales and interaction. Players who have a lot of resources could sell them to players, instead of the admin shops provided.

For those who think the builds would disappear; we could basically offer a world download or something similar. Or we could transfer the world somewhere in the server, where one could explore everything in it.

DoctaCirno and JeremyC lick this.
  5. JeremyC

This is all very well said, thank you.

In regards to new features, as you said, less admin shops would be a great start. I completely agree on the player-player transaction point you brought up, the problem obviously is keeping this going. Maybe removing many of the admin shops or having an extreme price hike would help circumnavigate this on the next version of survival.

6. Alkaline

Alkaline Moderator Staff Member Moderator Penguin

The world reset proposal is always coming from players that have been gone for ages and then return for a supposed "comeback". (let me make clear that im not making this personal it is just a fact)

I am someone who, if you have reasonable arguments, can be persuaded. In this case however I find none in words said above.
    Now if we would take this to a vote it would only be fair to ask only the active players since they are the ones losing their stuff they have been working on recently.
    (vlgregory, FatherFan, jeremy333, optimuszombie, BHW and I)

This world has been my home for over a year now, I have literally almost been playing every single day and have the base/balance to prove it.
    In this time ive seen what happenes with new updates and player count. Yes, survival playercount goes up for 1 week but where do they come from? Creative and realms. Personally im not willing to give up my entire base and projects just so 5 players can start over and leave again when that fresh feel is gone, because that IS going to happen. A reset is not magically going to keep/attract players, BC was never a survival server in the first place.

The argument that keeps on popping up is resources, well i think even the people who use it know that thats complete nonsense.
    I literally live in the center of it all and i dont have any problems finding resources. There are 2 nethers, the 2nd one (and even the first one) has plenty to find.
    You guys are just assuming it doesnt. And even if it didnt it would take 2 seconds for an admin to fly out and set up a new starting point for people to explore. (this is the same thing in the overworld)

Money?
    Have you even seen the new spawn Jeremy? Probably not. Cause you would know that most of the adminshops are gone now.
    "New players do not have many ways to earn money." I made 500.000-1.000.000 after the new spawn was introduced.
    And if there is a plan to "fix" the currency system you better do that before a reset. Personally I think its not going to be fixed, I still dont know what there is to be fixed. The only thing you really can change is pricing, and nobody is spending enough time to figure that one out.

I probably have the most riding on this reset, biggest base, most money, longest playtime and most claimblocks.
    So I hope you can understand why I wouldnt like to reset and then be all alone on that server again after a week.
    Summer vacation has been here for some time now, we all know that these things only come up during that time and then just vanish because school.
    I can not ask people to swear that they are going to play a lot on survival, but at this point I really dont belive thats whats going to happen.

So in the case that this is going to happen, I would like to ask that active survival players wont be left empty handed.
    Getting 2 million dollars was my goal and taking that away is like taking away my personal award but I can get that people cant empathise with that.
    Claimblocks however is something I really do not want to lose. I can live with building a new base but if i dont have the claimblocks to protect my vision then im not going to start at all.

Thanks for reading.

Remmi and <J_-xXJEREMY333Xx-_L> lick this.
  7. ItsAZZA

As I said, all the changes would be made before a reset, if that ever happens. I am not for or against this. The goal was to get some discussion which has totally happened. We can all agree that some changes are needed. The new spawn area would be a solution to most of our problems. Maybe even a whole new world, just as in the nether and the end.

8. Completely agree with ya. (thx 4 mentioning me!)

9. ItsAZZA

Also something that crossed my mind, would be to reset the economy and claim blocks for those players who want a hard restart.

10. JeremyC

The idea with a reset is that it's so the entire server can have a fresh start. Player count may be low, but I still believe that's a little more then 5 players.

In regards to currency, we can detail the specifics on whether it's broken or not, and what's broken about it, but there's always room for improvement. You are right, I have not had a chance to see the new spawn. I shall take a look at that as soon as I get on. But removing a few admin shops off an already shattered economy is like putting a bandaid on a gunshot wound. You stop the bleeding, but there is still the bullet in the wound. The bullet I think in this case, primarily being the economy, among many other things. Both the old survival economy and this version are very easily manipulated and easy to game. Part of the problem was admin shops, another key to it was a player market that many people didn't really have much motivation to use. If there is say, a small daily reward for using the market, maybe this might help?

In regards to a new spawn point, I think it would be nice and would help slightly but once again, it's just a temporary fix. The root of the issue would be much better attacked if we reset survival.

Also in regards to your first comment about everyone leaving then coming back and wanting a survival reset, I think so far I'm the only one to do that. And I've been advocating for a survival reset long before I left in the first place, nearly about a year now. I don't think that's a fact there, chief.

Also, there is in fact a poll attached to this forum thread. Anyone who has played on survival or even just on the server, I think has a right to vote, not just the 5 who have played on it the entire summer.

Thank you though for commenting, it's good to have voices on both sides of the opinion spectrum.

DoctaCirno licks this.
  11. Remmi

Remmi Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Penguin

once you reach the world borders and break all the blocks in survival maybe we could reset it but right now its a no from me

also if you want a "fresh start" throw all your stuff away and travel across many oceans to find a new place to live. you don't have to reset the entire survival server for people to have a fresh start. yea someone may have a lot more money and claim blocks than you but thats because they've played for a long time and have put a lot of effort into their bases. that's just the way it goes bro

i do agree tho that moving the spawn point to an untouched area could help greatly.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Lee licks this.
  12. JeremyC

Moving the spawn point would be a huge first step. Once agin though, I fear this would only be a temporary solution vs permanent. Resetting the end and nether might help.

13. TheHunter715561

TheHunter715561 New Member

I do have to agree with Remmi here I havent had any lag issues and moving spawn is an excellent idea, and if you want a fresh start throw ur stuff out and donate ur moneyz to the poor of survival!

14. TheHunter715561

TheHunter715561 New Member

Poor me :'(