Our Approach To Mojang’s EULA

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by MattyC, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattyC

MattyC What is life Retired Staff

As many of you will know Mojang have recently release a post about Server Monetization (EULA) AKA earning money using their game.

Here is a bit of background information on the EULA
    • · The EULA affects all servers and players equally
    • · As of the 1st of August 2014 you are not allowed to charge for Minecraft features which affect gameplay.
    • · You may unlock things in-game with soft currency. (E.G. game currencies)
    • · You can sell cosmetic items for hard currency directly or allow players to fund an “account” specific to your server.(E.G. Coloured names, prefixes, special hats etc.)

So essentially Mojang are saying that no server network can earn money by using their service of “MineCraft”, as you tell this is going to lead to some big problems for large networks such as Hypixel, TheHive and MinePlex where their operations rely fully on donations from their community, Virtually all servers will experience these problems

How are we going to tackle this problem?

Currently our operations will stay running, and will most likely remain running for the foreseeable future, if the worst comes I MattyC164 can take over the financial running costs of the network. I would also like to emphasize that at this current moment and as always Donations are vital to keep are network running and I thank you all for you continued support in the matter.

So, what does this mean for you?

At the moment nothing, as we are quite a small network inevitably Mojang will never pick up on our presence as we are literally a small freckle on a young ginger Irish mans face, The ways in which Mojang state they will enforce the EULA will not affect us due to the way our network is setup. If Mojang do come across our presence we will still be able to sell to you cosmetic items such as hats and nicknames etc. but for the moment we will be restricting these items to our donation packs but we may also have to result to charging access to our servers, or a “premium area” for people who pay to access it.

Aside from our story I would like to draw your attention to the wide scale upset this enforcement is going to cause to the MineCraft community as a whole. Minestatus.net states that it is currently tracking over 53,000 Minecraft servers which all rely on donations to keep running, when Mojang prohibit the earning of Money through MineCraft the majority of these servers will have to close due to a lack of funding which will hit the overall community of MineCraft very hard, with users loosing their favorite servers and MineCraft loosing their player base. A further point being the logistical nightmare and challenger it will cost Mojang and server owner to enforce this EULA through legal costs etc.

Furthermore I would also like to draw your attention to a few important links, the first being a change.org petition to appeal that mojang change their EULA

This letter entitled “An Open Letter To Notch” by Sterling the owner of MinePlex, where his network welcome over one million a month visit, and also the attention his case has drawn from the media seen in the article below by “The Guardian”

Thank you for your time in reading this and I hope this has shed some light on how we will approach and also encourage you to approach the new MineCraft EULA

Many thanks

Matty & The BuildCraftia Team

JeremyC, Quicksteve and Miner lick this.
  2. Lewis

Lewis Active Member Retired Staff

If it helps I will donate whatever i can.

3. Miner

Miner Bye y'all Penguin Retired Staff

As will I whenever I am given permission to, In my eyes, I don't see a reason for Mojang to be obstinant about this, they don't earn money from donations to servers and the servers themselves bring more people to the game itself. At this point, I think they're just wasting money and time on legal things.

4. Quicksteve

Quicksteve Supreme Overlord Penguin Staff Member Administrator Owner Moderator Event Winner Penguin

Thanks for your support!

yvagary licks this.
  5. Dry

Dry Well-Known Member Retired Staff

I would donate but you know
    Cant buy anything else
    Donated over $100 already ._.
    Sorry Guys <3

yvagary and Quicksteve lick this.
  6. Dry

Hehehehehe

yvagary, Lee, JeremyC and 1 other person lick this.
  7. JeremyC

JeremyC Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Its honestly just complete crap what mojang is doing here. I understand a litttle bit because some servers are becoming a pay to win thing but I dont think its fair that the majority of servers have to suffer the consequenses of those odd servers.

8. Quicksteve

Quicksteve Supreme Overlord Penguin Staff Member Administrator Owner Moderator Event Winner Penguin

I agree.

yvagary licks this.
  9. PoppyToppy

PoppyToppy New Member

Personally, I believe Mojang should have investigated the bigger servers and leave the small ones be. If the larger servers hadn't done mostly anything wrong, they would change it. If they did, on the other hand, they would deploy EULA rules for the larger servers. This decision was a bad idea on Mojang's part as they are beginning to lose LOTS and LOTS of players.

yvagary, Dry, RazerH and 2 others lick this.
  10. Quicksteve

Exactly poppy.

yvagary licks this.
  11. JeremyC

JeremyC Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Whatll happen to the donator ranks?

yvagary licks this.
  12. MattyC

MattyC What is life Retired Staff

It all depends if Mojang try and enforce the EULA on us, until then nothing we will be continuing as normal

yvagary licks this.
  13. Quicksteve

Also, even if Mojang enforces us to remove the rank shop, the current ranks will stay.

yvagary, JeremyC, Dry and 1 other person lick this.
  14. inventor109

inventor109 New Member

yeah this is bad news for mc. hey guys i might possibly be able to donate once more heh if you take all the strikes off my record :p

15. inventor109

inventor109 New Member

so are we participating in operation blackout

16. Miner

What is operation blackoutv

17. ItsAZZA

ItsAZZA BuildCraftia Owner Staff Member Administrator Owner

18. Dry

That Doesn't stop you from donating -_-

19. Kashers

Kashers Social Tiger Penguin Retired Staff

Hello! Because of the new EULA changes, I came up with suggestions that might help to keep the server funded and running!
    -Make a small survival server that players have to yearly pay to get in
    -Put up advertisements in the server, which might keep the server running
    -Donate at the website to get WEBSITE perks (since the website has no connection with Mojang)
    -Just get plain donations

My opinions about EULA:
    Honestly this is a stupid decision by Mojang. If servers can't be funded anymore (because most players donate for the perks and ranks and half of the players wont want to donate without perks) then all the servers will slowly die down and Minecraft will be forever gone because of these changes. To be fair, it is their game so it's their decision. But I think this is unnecessary! That's only my decision.

-Kash (Premium)

20. Miner

How do you suggest we "just get donations" many people are already donators.
    1)I don't know if you've noticed but 1:Many Buildcraftians have their own small servers and 2: the BC survival is rarely populated.
    2)What would said website perks be?

I don't mean these in a "you're wrong way", more in a, these things have flaws in them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.