Minecraft 1.11 and BuildCraftia Updates

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by ItsAZZA, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ItsAZZA

ItsAZZA BuildCraftia Owner Staff Member Administrator Owner

As you might’ve noticed, Minecraft 1.11 is around the corner. Bunch of new features and numerous bug fixes, even new mobs. They are calling it The Exploration Update, which honestly sounds extremely exciting. I already tested out the new snapshot which came out today.

There’s a few things we want to discuss about this update with you, the community. So please be open minded, and leave your own opinions in the comments; we want to hear what you think!

New Features & Updates

We’re going to push all the main updates on minigames (and most likely Reputation too) to the new version of Minecraft (1.11).

Updating now would mean double the work for us, so updating a bit later would make more sense. It gives us time to prepare all the features and updates, probably also do some beta testing with a closed group. All this to make your experience in BuildCraftia better.

Both Leo and I are extremely busy in real life and Minecraft 1.11 sounds more of a realistic goal for us both. New features require a lot of background work from both of us. We do not have an estimate of how long this update will take, but we'll do it as soon as it's any ways possible to us.

If you have any ideas for new features, for example Reputation, feel free to suggest them in the appropriate places here in the Forums.

Minigames
    Since the last big update on Minigames, especially the kits, there has been some big changes to the gameplay. This means we’re going to redo bunch of kits and perks in the minigames.

Yes, we are planning on bringing the 1.10 combat to our pvp minigames, such as Destroy The Core. This gives more of an challenge to the game, but it also means more work for balancing all the features. Some new mechanics, such as elytras, might be introduced later.

If you have any ideas for these kits and perks, please use the appropriate threads to suggest your ideas.

There’s bunch of maps, which have been submitted and we’ll go through them soon. We’ll also revise all the old maps and see how they perform in the new Minecraft update.

Survival Server
    We’ve had this survival server map for over 1.5 years now, and it’s getting bigger and bigger, more and more awesome. With the new features players need to travel long distances to find them.

The new update features the Woodland biome, and the woodland mansions in them. Since these are generated structures, they won’t be in the new areas. They also are extremely rare, which makes finding them even harder.

There’s also the new ‘Return Portals’ inside the End, which work as the ones in the end island. These are randomly generated and they take the player back to the end island.

Players have accumulated ridiculous amounts of money during this time, and new players find it hard to achieve. The economy is kind of ruined, and old-time players have nothing to achieve anymore. We’d change the economy setup a bit, by reducing the amount of admin shops, for example.

Because of all these facts, we propose we’d reset the Survival server. Both the map, and the economy. This would mean resetting the claim blocks as well, but all purchased claim blocks would stay. A new and fresh start to an over 1.5 year old setup, which has served us all well.

By resetting, we can also introduce new mechanics, new plugins, if the community wants so. One feature would be custom generated terrain, which would make the game way more enjoyable.

We've released a thread explaining Reputation as thoroughly as we possibly can. There has been some changes since the last Reputation update post, so please feel free to read that one here: https://forum.bcsn.us/index.php?threads/reputation-system-explained.4128/

Feel free to leave your opinions down in the comments. Also, if you have suggestions about any of these, please feel free to share your ideas with us in the appropriate Forums.

epikplayer, LumenFidei, Lee and 3 others lick this.
  2. DoctaCirno

DoctaCirno Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Resetting the Survival Server sounds great!

HestiaMinecraft licks this.
  3. Alkaline

Alkaline Administrator Staff Member Administrator Event Winner

I still don't approve of the Survival reset. I have spent hours on hours to get this kind of money recently (like last month) because it felt like an achievement for me. Not to mention all the time we spent building our stuff that we recently planned. It feels the same for me personally as resetting creative...

I get that some people want a new world but it feels like a lot of recent time I invested is just going to be thrown away :( Especially when i did not use an exploit to get it...

But these are just my 5 cents. The rest sounds great!

4. ItsAZZA

We'll most likely include a world download for players who want to get their builds if we decide to reset the survival server.

DoctaCirno licks this.
  5. JeremyC

JeremyC Well-Known Member Retired Staff

I would be highly in favor of a survival reset. I proposed this actually when we were updating to 1.10 but obviously this was a moot point then. Anyways, it's rare that you see people on survival anymore, especially with chaos out. It would benefit the server and the players to have it reset

6. Tntdestroyr

Tntdestroyr Member Penguin

Please dont reset survival, theres so many things on that server people have put some real time into, let alone the things that are still in the works being made. Just because of the new features soon to be released with the new update shouldn't sway you guys into wiping out everything ppl have done on the survival server. Survival will never come back to the way it is now if you reset it. . Implementing the new update, the way 1.10 was done, should suffice in my opinion.

Leverine and MewBeach lick this.
  7. TNTMan1289

TNTMan1289 Well-Known Member

Welp, I've thought of three mechanics we could introduce so the economy won't get "fucked" later on.
    • Interest
    - Basically what it sounds like. However, the percentage of interest gets lower and lower the more money you have. If you have $10, you have an interest percentage of maybe 5%. But if you have $3,000,000, you have an interest percentage of say 0.2%. Also, interest would only be collected for a month after long term inactivity so this mechanic can't be taken advantage of.​
    • No idea what to call this
    - A system were money is collected from people with the top balance and divided among the active players. To give players with a low balance a more of a chance, $10,000,000 will be collected from the top 50 balances. That does not mean 50 people will donate $10,000,000 each, that means 50 people will donate $200,000 each. These values should probably be lowered. That $10,000,000 will be divided among the most active players. Players who have been on in the past 2 months, regularly connect, have more than $5,000, and have a reputation above 0.​
    • Money Limit
    - A limit on the amount of money you can have. Set this at about $1,000,000,000.​

8. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member Penguin Retired Staff

... How does that even make any sense. Why reward players by giving them interest if they're inactive? Why should money be taken from those who've worked hard for it. It seems unfair. It's really not THAT hard to earn money.

JeremyC and Alkaline lick this.
  9. Napkin

Napkin Well-Known Member Penguin

Communism.

10. Alkaline

Alkaline Administrator Staff Member Administrator Event Winner

Sorry in advance for ranting but I like discussions.

I still dont agree that the economy is ruined. "new players find it hard to achieve" I have been playing on survival for a couple of months now and there have been no changes in the shops ever since i started. I was able to reach this amount of money because i spent time getting it. Other people can do it too, no sweat. I just grinded a lot of items and just sold them in the admin shops. And because of the amount of time i spent on gaining the money I find that it gives me the right to buy stuff i need and I don't even buy stuff because I do not want to lose money XD And its not like im stealing from a limited pot of gold.

If you do not want people to gain money and use that money to buy blocks then you should not have introduced the system.

I could get over the fact that the world will be reset. But to leave people with nothing is wrong.

@TNTMan1289
    People who actually spend time making the money are going to have to give away money to other people. Bit weird imo. This would only work if the rich gain their money by leeching of off other people without lifting a finger.
    And do you even know that the top 2 players only have 1 milion each? Thats like half of the money on survival. 1 billion is never going to happen...

Leverine, MewBeach and Dusty lick this.
  11. LumenFidei

LumenFidei Well-Known Member Penguin

Before survival is reset, can we take the best builds and import them into creative, so I can add them to the Hall of Fame? Losing money is one thing, but o lose the works of art accomplished in survival would be an impoverishment of the server. If we can create a "Best Builds of Survival" section in the plot world that I can add to the Hall of Fame, would be awesome.

MewBeach licks this.
  12. ItsAZZA

We might introduce taxes or something, haven't fully figured this one out yet. Having a limit to money isn't something I want to have. One way is to have less admin shops and you could get money by voting, instead. Just an idea, at this point, really.

What is there to achieve in survival when you can get whatever you want with the money you already have? I wanted to encourage players to trade with each other, that's why we have the market place. I made a mistake by making too many admin shops to begin with, and that's something we could fix in the new update.

If we're going to reset survival, we're going to reset everything. There's really no point just to reset the map, in my opinion at least.

Well, if we're thinking it like that... There's always something you can do in Minecraft... so basically we never can reset survival...

In my opinion resetting survival may get new players to join, and if we decide to do something fun like custom biome generation... It's going to draw more people. I am open to suggestions.

DoctaCirno licks this.
  13. johnyman333

johnyman333 The John Penguin

Is it possible to restart survival and import the bases of anyone who wants?

Leverine and DoctaCirno lick this.
  14. Napkin

Survival is something that NEEDS to be reset about every year and a half anyway. I couldn't imagine anyone would bother to play if we still had our oldest map.

DoctaCirno and JeremyC lick this.
  15. JeremyC

JeremyC Well-Known Member Retired Staff

The economy is in fact ruined. Basically all it takes is for a person to get decent armor, and then go to the nether. You can make about $3000 in 10 minutes of soul sand and Quartz. Or if you want to go AFK you just have a blaze farm, which if you are AFK for an hour will bring in about $5000-$10000. Or if you are feeling really bold you can try and start your own business, like me or Lewis tried to do... But those obviously did not go well. I did gain about $65,000 from my personal business however about $30,000 of this were mending books, and the other $30,000 was from wordguy buying out pretty much all of my options. However to even get the mending books and supplies needed to make my inventory, it took about 20 hours of end exploration, and about $30,000 to buy emeralds and village eggs for the villagers. So in the end yes, you can do your own business and get somewhat of a profit. But it requires so much more time and work compared to what it takes to make a farm, or go to the nether.

What is also messed up is you basically have say, the top 20 in survival. This is predominantly concentrated in 4 main groups. This isn't such a bad thing as this allows for massive bases and towns but what this also creates is a diffucult spot for newer players to find a foothold. I'd say about all of the land within a 1000 block radius of the spawn chunks is claimed, either by miner/me/dusty, or by Alk/Kyle. Maybe a few other bases sprinkled in but a player has to travel to get their foothold. And once they finally get out of this area, most of the caves are already explored. The forests are still lush with wood and animals still roam, but you have to go out another 2000-5000 before you find any ores. In addition you have to travel around another 5000-15000 to find new 1.9 and 1.10 blocks. My point being, in the current state of survival, the map and economy makes it ever so difficult for new players to get a foothold and for even the most veteran of players to have businesses or non-admin markets. So a reset would benefit the entire server, even those who have all the money and wealth.

While it will be unfortunate that 1.5 years of work will be lost, it is for the best. We went thru a survival reset once before, we can do it again. Sometimes to usher in the new, the old must be replaced.

Napkin licks this.
  16. yvagary

yvagary Well-Known Member Penguin

I didn't read any of the other comments because I'm lazy and don't really care enough because I have work to do but I didn't want to forget some questions about this.
    First off, would player who asked be allowed to get the world download? There's a lot of, like, stuff that was made and like idk I'm a really awkward and sentimental person and I'd want a save of the world.
    Second off, "custom terrain" sounds okay, but would it be like chaos with the outrageous amount of 200 block tall mountains and the constant lag and be difficult to update or would it just be, like, idk something not crazy laggy nor gargantuan mountains? If it's crazy ass mountains I'm going to have to put my input in as a downvote.
    Third off, what would be different? Would the rules change? Would we be able to keep the non-direct purchased claim blocks (the claim blocks included with ranks like penguin)?

17. TNTMan1289

TNTMan1289 Well-Known Member

Well fuck. I didn't know my ideas were THAT bad. Sorry, ignore my post.

18. FatherFan

FatherFan Priest Staff Member Moderator Penguin

I'd like a survival reset, but competitiveness like chaos to be better than everyone needs to like chill... there's no endgoal of survival, unless you count getting like 3 million currency as your endgoal. Even then, you really don't need more than 200,000 on survival in case anything happens. I really want the new biomes and things. If we could make a semi-mutual/semi-competitive survival server, I think that's best
    If this idea sucks, feel free to shoot me down

19. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member Penguin Retired Staff

I don't know if semi-mutual/semi-competitive survival would work. At least, if we keep the old raiding rules. The current rules make it practically impossible to raid any sort of base and the rules are very confusing. We can't have some rule like "You can only raid if less than 75% of the build is claimed." It makes it confusing, hard to judge AND you may not realize that over 75% of it is claimed until it's too late. The rules need to be cut-clean and simple so there is no confusion. That means, we need either "You can raid if it isn't claimed" OR "Absolutely no raiding".

Also, we need to either allow pvp everywhere or nowhere. On survival, very few people like to pvp, most people who like to pvp are on Chaos. Also, as of right now, anyone can avoid pvp by simply typing /spawn. You can cheat death this way if you're quick enough.

All in all, I think the only way survival can be competitive is by people racing for money, similar to the current survival server.

20. Napkin

Girl, u cheated on me with /spawn b4 </3. Also with the raiding rule just use common sense. There's rlly no need to play dumb; if it looks like it had effort put into it and belongs with a base, don't raid it. Or if it belongs to a regularly online player, don't raid it. It's not rocket science, it's moral judgement.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016