[Discussion] "Bow Spam" is Okay

Discussion in 'DTC' started by MrIvy, Jul 24, 2015.

1. MrIvy

MrIvy Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Bow Spam is fine. Yeah, I know, its the unpopular opinion but hear me out.

Point #1: The archer class has a good bow, and nothing else. With terrible armor and a terrible melee weapon, a wood sword. Attacking with a wood sword is the same as attacking with your iron pickaxe, and when fighting against someone that is tank or melee at close range, using your bow is your only plausible option. It is also the default kit, so many members who haven't unlocked the other kits usually use that if they don't use the super op builder kit.

Point #2: Bow spam is avoidable. Sure, its annoying if you charge straight at them and just take the hits, but you're basically giving them those hits. Bow spam can be easily avoided with simple strafing, because one miss of a bow shot will give you an opening to combo the f*ck out of the bower.

Point #3: What else can you do? As I mentioned earlier, the archer kit is terrible for melee, so if an archer gets in a melee fight, what are they supposed to do, let them kill you? When they fight back with the only reasonable method, "bow spam", some people are annoyed. Its like, "oh, I'm sorry, you wanted me to let you kill me? Excuse me for fighting back." Like, come on guys. This point also applies to enemies running across a bridge. You're not just going to let them to your core.

Point #4: People use the term "Bow Spam" wrong all the time. Being a good archer and hitting people multiple times isn't bow spam. Bow spam is bowing someone rapidly at close range. So next time someone kills your from a distance after hitting you 5 times, don't yell "wow bow spam"

Fell free to discuss your opinions below.

2. Miner

Miner Bye y'all Penguin Retired Staff

Thank you thank you thank you. It's so annoying when I hit people multiple times and they yell bow spam. Like, it's a magical thing called You're Close Enough To Me That I Don't Need To Fully Draw The Bow. In fact I rarely fully draw a bow.

I agree with literally everything else here

HestiaMinecraft, Lee and Remmi lick this.
  3. Quicksteve

Quicksteve Supreme Overlord Penguin Staff Member Administrator Owner Moderator Event Winner Penguin

I have to say I agree, bow "spamming" is a built-in mechanic and as such I would not like to fiddle with it. Adding some sort of cooldown would probably be trival, but still: shooting arrows very fast can be annoying, but it is one of the benefits of the Archer class which is why it is also my 2nd favourite (would be 1st if I could aim properly :p)

Wordguy licks this.
  4. Wordguy

Wordguy Well-Known Member Penguin

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS. I hate it when I use my bow excessively, and people get mad. I'm like "So I can't use my kit? Alright then."

mrfishfishy licks this.
  5. JeremyC

JeremyC Well-Known Member Retired Staff

I agree that it is fine, but it is somewhat of a dick move to do. Id prefer if people avoid it but, its fine to do.

6. Wordguy

Wordguy Well-Known Member Penguin

It is, but it's one of those border lining moves where like, you understand both sides.

7. HestiaMinecraft

HestiaMinecraft Well-Known Member Retired Staff

Sometimes I shooting people multiple times from far away and they're like "hest stahp bow spamming" I'm just like "._. that's not bow spam"

8. FatherFan

FatherFan The Priest Staff Member Administrator Moderator Penguin

In my opinion, bow spam is fine with me, just frowned upon.

JeremyC licks this.
  9. HestiaMinecraft

I die like 1,000 times each game because a Melee comes up to me and I don't bow spam because I'm nice and everyone else hates it.

10. JeremyC

JeremyC Well-Known Member Retired Staff

become a cow then you will be an amazing archer :D

11. HestiaMinecraft

I'm not a cow and I'm already amazing :D jk no i'm not

12. PhoenixStudios

PhoenixStudios Community Manager Staff Member Administrator Community Manager Moderator

Yeah, bow spam's just how the game works. It's can be annoying yes but tbh, just like Ivy said, that's how the archer class in particular is balanced (infinite bows, but weak armour etc.).

And when other classes do it, they only have a limited amount of arrows, so... yeah, it may be annoying but imo it's just how the game runs.

13. MrIvy

MrIvy Well-Known Member Retired Staff

?

14. Dusty

Dusty Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I mean, I understand bow spam is kinda what you have to do with Archer, but when you are fighting someone who is a melee or tank and they try to bow spam you when they could use their swords... that's not cool.

Wordguy licks this.
  15. NapkinDabber

NapkinDabber Well-Known Member Retired Staff

It's just another fighting tactic. It is extremely useful for getting out of tight spaces in a pinch, and to slow down hoards of people.

Bins licks this.